Rowe & Walton PC

Changing Your Name in Utah

Changing Your Name in Utah

Changing Your name as an Adult

Many adult individuals decide to change their names. You may want to change your name for various reasons, whether you do not like your birth name or have had events or experiences in your lives that conclude to having the wrong name. Sometimes people change their surname, revert to their former last name after divorce, or change their name for protection. Generally it’s not as complicated as you might think to change your name in Utah. The process is relatively straightforward. Below will address everything you need to know about changing your name in Utah.

First, you must be 18 or older to change your name. When under 18, you will need a parent’s or guardians’ consent to change your name. Next, you’ll need to file a petition with the court. You can do this by going to your local courthouse and asking for the forms. The forms are typically free at the courthouse, but you may also be able to find them online.

Applications will include:

  • Name change form
  • Order for the name change (why are you changing your legal name)
  • Decree to have your name legally changed

Once you have obtained the forms, fill them out and submit them to the court. You will need to attend the court hearing to receive the court order. After you file, you will find a fee to change your name. Locations vary, but pricing for a name change can cost up to $1000. Make sure you have saved and reach out to your local family lawyer, who can ensure you do not miss any steps. Some states do not require a family lawyer; however, the lawyer will be updated with local laws concerning name changes. Lawyers will also know if you have any restrictions for a name change.

Restrictions can include:

  • You are on probation or parole
  • You are currently involved in a lawsuit
  • You are on a Child Abuse Offender Registry
  • You have fines or creditors after you

Something that also varies by the state is the possibility of publishing a notice of your name change in a local newspaper. The notice must be posted for around three to four weeks. Once the four weeks have passed, you’ll be able to change your name legally. Check your state’s rules and regulations to see if this is required.

Finally, you’ll need to update your identification documents. Be sure to update these documents as soon as possible, so there is no confusion down the road.

Documents to update:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Citizenship papers
  • Social Security Card
  • Passport
  • Credit cards or bank information
  • Utility companies
  • DMV
  • Any other institution you have regular contact with

Changing your name in Utah is a simple process that anyone can follow. Just make sure that you take care of the legalities and update your documents accordingly, and you’ll be good to go!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *